The shrimp tempura roll is popular as a thin or thick outside roll. They are often rolled plain,and garnished with tempura crisps, and spicy mayonnaise sauce. When frying the shrimp, make sure to fry it with the tail on, so no flavors are lost. The tails can be consumed after they are fried.
Shrimp Tempura Roll Ingredients:
Shrimp Tempura (see how to make tempura)
Shrimp Tempura Roll Recipe:
- Rinse the rice about 2-3 times and place it in a rice cooker. Cook the 1½ cups sushi rice with 2 cups of water. Once it’s done, transfer it onto a large baking sheet. Using a rice paddle gently cut through the rice . Scoop the rice up and flip it over. Evenly drizzle the rice vinegar into the cooked rice and continue cutting and scooping the rice with the rice paddle until it cools down.
- While the rice is cooling, make the tempura according to the package. In a large skillet pour oil to a depth of 2 inches. Dip each shrimp in the tempura batter and cook the shrimp over medium high heat. Make sure not to over cook the shrimp. Fry the shrimp in batches for 2-3 minutes per batch.
- Once the shrimps are done set them aside.
- Finely chop up the imitation crab and combine it with mayonnaise. Slice the avocado, and cut the cucumber into thin julienned pieces. I buy the cream cheese in the packaged form. Using a sharp knife to cut the cream cheese into long strips.
- Next, slice each tempura battered shrimp in half so that you have two identical pieces.
- Cover the sushi mat with plastic wrap and place one sheet of toasted nori in the middle. Drench your hands with water and grab a handful of rice. Begin spreading the rice over the nori, making sure to cover the entire sheet with a thin layer. Be careful not to press on the rice too hard, or you’ll end up with a mashed up mess. It really helps to constantly rewet your hands because the rice can be very sticky.
- Once the rice is evenly spread, sprinkle some sesame seeds and flip the nori over. In the middle of the nori sheet, place about 2 tbsp of imitation crab, 2 slices of cucumber, 2 slices of avocado, 1 strip of cream cheese, and 2 tempura shrimp halves.
- While turning in the front of the nori with the sushi mat, slightly compress the inner ingredients. Keep rolling the sushi with the sushi mat, making sure to keep the roll tight.
- Using a sharp wet knife, cut each sushi roll into 8 equal pieces.
Back to Sushi Roll Recipes.