California roll is the most popular sushi roll devoured by the Sushi lovers across the world.
This roll is most demanded sushi of most of the sushi bars in the United States and Europe. When you take a friend out who has never tried sushi yet, this is what you order because California roll does not contain any raw fish. It uses crab meat, cucumber, and avocado, which gives it a very fresh flavor. However, this crab salad can also be replaced by crab stick to change the flavor.Want to try a Sushi Roll without raw fish? California Roll is what you need. Click To Tweet
California roll is usually folded inside-out and the outer layer of rice is sprinkled with either Masago (which gives it a crunchy flavor) or toasted sesame seeds.
It is believed to be first introduced in Canada. Chef Hidekazu Tojo proclaims he invented the recipe keeping the taste of western people in mind and because they don’t like seaweed, he hid it inside the roll by wrapping it inside out. This tactic worked and it gained the attention of many people and a lot of them were from Los Angeles; hence the name California Roll.
Most sushi bars serve it with slight variations in the recipe. One such recipe is the Rainbow Roll.
The Rainbow Roll is basically California Roll with avocado, sashimi, sea bass, hamachi, tuna and salmon placed on top diagonally arranged in altering colors.
Unlike the normal California Roll, the Rainbow Roll does contain raw fish however, when the dish is served in front of you, you won’t even care about it; that’s how beautiful it looks.
And it’s not at all difficult to do it at home. You can make California Rainbow Roll easily at home if you have all the ingredients, a sharp knife, a bamboo mat, and a plastic sheet.
Here’s the list of all the ingredients that you would need:
California Roll Ingredients:
- 1 Nori sheets
- A cup of vinegar rice
- 1 crabstick
- 1 small sized cucumber (Peeled, seeded, and sliced into thin and around 2 inches long pieces)
- 1 medium-sized avocado (Peeled and cut into around quarter of an inch thick pieces)
- A few drops of lemon juice
- A few ounces of toasted sesame seeds
For Rainbow Roll
- Red Snapper
- Sea Bass
How to make a California Roll: Step by Step Instructions:
- Before you begin, spray some lemon juice on top of the avocado to keep it from turning brown.
- To prevent the rice from sticking on the bamboo mat, cover it with a plastic sheet. Trust me this simple step would make your life a lot easier.
- Tear the Nori sheet in half and place it on the mat. Make sure both parts are equal and even. If it doesn’t tear easily, you can roast it for a few moments or you can just use scissors.
- Dip your hand into a cup of water and start spreading the rice on top of the Nori sheet. You might not want to press the rice too much or it would lose the texture. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top of the rice according to your taste.
- Here comes the tricky part! Carefully flip the sheet over so that the rice are facing the bamboo mat.
- Start placing the rest of the ingredients the Nori. First cucumber, then crab stick and then on the top place avocado. Make sure you place everything on the center of the sheet.
- Start Rolling!! Grab one edge of the bamboo rolling mat while making sure that the fillings stay in place and using the mat start rolling it gently but firmly into a nice and tight cylinder. After every turn, keep pulling away the mat.
- Your California Roll is now ready, however to make it a rainbow roll you need just 2 more step.
- Start placing the sashimi on top on the California roll diagonally. Make it look beautiful by using alternating colors while leaving some space open in between for Fill in the spaces with thin layer of avocado.
- Cover the roll again with a plastic sheet. Cover with a sushi mat and grip tightly. Now using a sharp-edged knife cut 6 equal pieces as evenly as possible.
And your California Rainbow Roll is ready!! Serve with wasabi, soy sauce, and pickled ginger.
Cucumber, Avocado and Crab Meat, consumed with Wasabi and Soy sauce, California Roll is a must.. Click To Tweet